What You Need to Know About CAT Exam 2017
CAT or Common Admission Test is an all India MBA entrance examination. It is conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) as an entrance exam for admission to the Post-graduate and Fellow Programs in management courses of several management institutes all over India.
Here’s what you need to know about CAT Exam 2017:
- E-Learning is an important aspect with CAT 2017. This is because it is an online computer based test.
- There are two sections in it
– the first checks for quantitative aptitude and data interpretation,
– the other one tests verbal ability and logical reasoning.
- The time given for each section is equal – 70 minutes for each section. You cannot jump from one section to another. However, you can shift among questions within the same section.
- Once a section is over, you cannot go back to the same section.
- A fifteen-minute tutorial is provided before the start of the exam.
CAT 2017 dates
CAT Exam 2017 is to be conducted by the IIMs in the month of November 2017.
|Registrations for Exam||09th August to 20th September 2017|
|Download your Admit Card||18th October 2017|
|Exam dates||26 November 2017|
|Results On||2nd week of January 2018|
Eligibility and Reservations
- A Bachelor’s degree with Minimum 50% (45% for SC, ST and PWD) marks. This can be from any Government recognized University or from any similar institute.
- The final year candidates or candidates waiting for their final semester results must submit a certificate. It needs to be signed by the Principal/Registrar or other Institute head assuring about all the prerequisites.
Reservations are also available at IIMs. Following are the categories:
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribes (ST)||7.5%|
|Persons With Disabilities (PWD)||5%|
|Non-Creamy – Other Backward Classes (NC-OBC)||27%|
Exam Format and Other Details
The pattern has more or less remained the same since 2015. But, IIMs do like to surprise the students sometimes. And, in the year 2015, the Non-MCQ or Type in The Answer (TITA) type questions were introduced for the first time. And, it has been unchanged since then.
For every correct answer, there are 3 marks. And, for each incorrect answer you lose 1 mark. There are however, no negative markings.
Based on previous patterns, CAT 2017 exam pattern with timings are given below:
Expected Questions Count
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR)
|Quantitative Ability (QA)||
The results of the exam are usually out within a month. So, the candidates can then apply to different Management schools for admissions. The admission process differs from institute to institute. And typically, for the IIMs, a Written Ability Test is conducted followed by a personal Interview.
Note: Because, the CAT score is valid for only one year, the candidates are hence required to apply for the B-Schools before the validity expires.
Furthermore, the IIMs also provide various additional facilities for the PWD category candidates. These can be checked in detail from the official website for CAT Exam 2017.
Also Read: Online Learning: Common Mistakes Made
CAT 2017 Preparation Tips
CAT has now gone from a paper pencil based test to online, computer based test. As a result, its planning now includes taking advantage of E-Learning and E-mock. We will discuss it shortly later.
- Time Management –
Each individual’s capacity to study is different. However, most experts claim that you don’t need to quit your job or totally change your daily routine. Hence, 4-5 hours of study for 5 months is sufficient.
- Mock Exams –
The best part about these mock tests is that –
a.) you get instant results to track your progess and b.) you do not need to buy books as E-Mock papers are available online for free.
Since, the CAT exam is all about speed and accuracy, mock tests are the best platform to develop them. Probably solving around 30-70 mock tests is well enough.
- Utilize Social Networking Websites
Finally, interacting with people who are studying for CAT Exam 2017, helps to keep the spirits high. Therefore, take advantage of social networking websites or study forums. Even Quora is a good place to clarify your doubts.
Many good e-learning websites in India have their own forums who have legitimate users. So, connect with them for insightful knowledge.